When a major disaster strikes, a community is left devastated and picking up the pieces long-term can be incredibly difficult. How does the Church come alongside of families in their time of greatest need? We believe God has called His Church to walk with or “Sponsor” families long-term (1 to 4 months), helping them back on their feet by addressing their emotional, spiritual and physical needs. This gives opportunity, through relationship, to demonstrate & declare the love that Christ has for them!
The need is immediate for 90 churches to sponsor 10 flood families within the next 10 days.
Today, we can celebrate the following churches for their faith commitment to sponsor families of the Memorial Weekend Floods:
- 10 Families – The Austin Stone
- 10 Families – The Church at Canyon Creek, Austin, TX
- 10 Families – Fellowship Church at Plum Creek
- 10 Families – Austin New Church
- 10 Families – Bannockburn Baptist Church – South Austin
- 10 Families – Cityview Bible Church
- 10 Families – Hays Hills Baptist Church
- 10 Families – Celebration Church
- 10 Families – Life Austin
- 10 Families – Lake Hills
What Does It Mean to Walk with or “Sponsor” a Family?
- Meeting Emotional Needs
- Call them, visit them, listen to them, be present with them
- Address concerns, help them think through problems and establish a plan
- Provide direction, compassion, love, prayer, and support (within boundaries)
- Meeting Spiritual Needs
- Pray with them; invite God into the center of their need
- Care for them by demonstrating the love that Christ has for them
- Share with them the hope found in knowing Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior
- Meeting Physical Needs
- Identify their immediate & longer term needs and collaborate to discover ways to meet them (may include food, clothing, medicine, housing, furniture, transportation, etc)
- Provide additional support as needed: filling out forms, helping clean up, moving, etc
Invite others to help you, help them; consider sponsoring a family as a small group from your church!
What the Sponsor Is NOT Expected to Do
- Have the family live in their home
- Meet all of the family’s financial needs out of their own personal means
- Help them beyond what has been affected by the disaster
- Be responsible for doing what the family can and should do for themselves
How Does a Ministry Like Austin Disaster Relief Network Support the Local Church?
- We connect families in need with churches willing to help
- We provide training, tools and personnel needed
- We help identify & obtain resources within the community
- We provide financial support to assist with immediate needs and long term needs
What Is Required to Sponsor a Family?
- Complete a background check through ADRN online at www.adrntx.org (takes 2-3 minutes)
- Attend a Disaster Relief Shepherd Training (training dates listed online)
- Ensure your church is on the Network*
*A church joins the Network when church leadership fills out the Join form online & meets with ADRN Leadership