On Monday, November 11, 2013, we celebrate the men and women who have served our country, past and present. Starting this weekend, there will be several parades and ceremonies in and around Austin to honor members of our military, as well as promotional Veterans Day offers, from free meals to free museum visits.
- Close Assault at Camp Mabry – Saturday, November 9 and Sunday, November 10. Showtimes at 11 a.m. and 2 p.m. Rain or shine. Free admission. Free parking. Must present photo I.D. to enter Camp Mabry. Texas Military Forces Museum, 35th Street, west of Mopac, Austin.
- Veterans Day Parade – Monday, November 11. The event kicks off at 9 a.m. at the Ann W. Richards Congress Bridge and travels up to the Capitol building. Viewing is available all along Congress Ave. and there will be a reviewing stand at the Stephen F. Austin Hotel at Congress and 7th. Stay for the 11 a.m. ceremony at the South Capitol steps.
- Veterans Day Car Show (Bastrop) – Saturday, November 9, 2013. Join over 200 car enthusiasts in Bastrop, The Most Historic Small Town in Texas, for the 8th Annual Veterans Weekend Car Show. This judged show offers trophies, raffles, and cash prizes. In addition, you are invited to join in the Veterans Walk and Ceremony honoring veterans of all branches of service past and present. The event will kick off the night before, on Friday, November 8, with a drive-in movie at dusk in Fisherman’s Park, located on the banks of the Colorado River. Sit in your car, tune your radio to the drive-in station for audio, and watch an oldie-but-goodie on a huge outdoor screen. Refreshments will be available. For more information, call 512-303-0558. Historic Downtown Bastrop.
- Veterans Memorial Day Parade & Ceremony (Cedar Park) – Saturday, November 9, from 9:30 a.m. – noon. Honor our veterans and show your patriotic pride at the Veterans Memorial Ceremony and Parade. Please bring blankets or lawn chairs, as seating is limited. Veterans Memorial Park, 2525 W. New Hope Dr, Cedar Park.
- Veterans Day Event for Kids (Georgetown) – Saturday, November 9, from 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. What is a veteran and why do we celebrate these Americans? Learn what veterans have done to support our community locally and nationally. Recognize veterans in your family by making them their very own medal. This program is free for all ages. The Williamson Museum, 716 S. Austin Avenue, Georgetown.
- Veterans Day Ceremony (Pflugerville) – Monday, November 11, from 11 a.m. – noon. See the program. Fallen Warrior Memorial, Pfluger Park, 515 City Park Road, Pflugerville.
- Veterans Day Parade (San Marcos) – Saturday, November 9, from 8:30 a.m. – noon. Free breakfast at 8:30 a.m., kids’ bike brigade at 9 a.m., performances from 8:30 – 10 a.m., and the main parade at 10 a.m. Courthouse Lawn, Downtown San Marcos.
In honor of Veterans Day, several restaurants are offering free food for veterans and active duty military. To redeem dining deals, veterans and active-duty military will need to show proof of service or military ID. Please click on the links below for more details on each promotion and, as always, give your local restaurant a call to confirm their participation:
- Applebee’s – Monday, November 11. Veterans can receive a free entrée. Dine-in from a limited menu. Choose from: Three Cheese Chicken Penne, 7 oz House Sirloin, Chicken Tenders Platter, Fiesta Lime Chicken, Bacon Cheddar Cheeseburger, Oriental Chicken Salad, and Double Crunch Shrimp. Proof of service required. For a participating location near you, contact your local Applebee’s.
- Boston Market – Monday, November 11. Veterans receive a free whole chicken with the purchase of any Family Meal. No coupon is required. Must show military/veteran ID.
- California Pizza Kitchen – Monday, November 11. All veterans or active duty military personnel will be able to get any pizza from the CPK menu for free (dine-in only). This is just a small way of saying thank you for the tremendous commitment, sacrifice and heroism that service men and women exemplify. Guests must show military ID or other proof of service to participate. Offer valid at participating CPK restaurants, excluding Guam, airport, stadium and university locations.
- Carrabba’s – November 9 – 11. All active and retired veterans can receive a free appetizer.
- Chick-fil-A North Mopac and Parmer Lane – Monday, November 11, from 5-8 p.m. Chick-fil-A at North Mopac and Parmer Lane will be offering a free Chick-fil-A meal to all military members past and present. Immediate family members will also be able to receive a free meal. Children will be able to write letters and draw pictures for deployed military members, to be sent overseas.
- Chili’s – Monday, November 11. Veterans and active duty military can show ID to receive a free entrée from a special menu. This offer is valid for dine-in only, at participating locations.
- Golden Corral – Monday, November 11, from 4 – 9 p.m. Any person who has served in the US Military (retirees, veterans, active duty, National Guard or Reserves) is invited to enjoy a free meal at Golden Corral on Monday. For more information, visit the Military Appreciation FAQs, or find a Golden Corral location near you.
- Krispy Kreme – Monday, November 11. Show your military ID or wear your uniform to receive a free doughnut and small coffee.
- McCormick & Schmick’s Seafood & Steaks – Sunday, November 10. Veterans are invited to enjoy a free meal from a special menu. All veterans must show official verification. Make your reservation online.
- Menchie’s – Monday, November 11. Menchie’s, North America’s largest self-serve frozen yogurt franchise, is showing gratitude by offering free six ounce frozen yogurt cups to all veterans and active duty in honor of Veterans Day on Monday, Nov. 11. Menchie’s will offer free yogurt all day to military personnel. To receive the offer, veterans will need to provide a military ID or dress in uniform.
- Olive Garden – Monday, November 11. All veterans and current service members can receive a free meal from a special menu. Family dining with them will receive 10% off. For the entire month of November, veterans and current service members and their families can receive 10% off their meal. To find a location near you, visit their website.
- Taco Cabana – All Taco Cabana locations offer a 20% discount to anyone showing a valid military ID or wearing a military uniform. The 20% military discount is a year-round offer.
- Texas Roadhouse – Monday, November 11. If you are a Veteran or Active Military Personnel, bring your military ID, Veterans Affairs Card, or discharge papers to select a free lunch entrée and soft drink/tea from the Veterans lunch menu.
- TGI Fridays – Monday, November 11, from 11 a.m. – 2 p.m. Veterans and active duty military service members are invited to have lunch on TGI Fridays this Veterans Day.
Free Parks & Museums Admission
- LBJ Presidential Library – Monday, November 11. Active military always receive free admission. On Veterans Day, admission is free for all! 2313 Red River Street, Austin.
- National Parks – November 9 – 11. Everyone can enjoy free entrance days at participating National Parks for Veterans Day weekend.
- SeaWorld San Antonio – Waves of Honor permits any U.S. active duty military, activated or drilling reservist, or National Guardsman to one complimentary admission per year to either SeaWorld®, Busch Gardens®, Adventure Island®, Water Country USA®, or Sesame Place® or Aquatica SeaWorld’s Waterpark™ in San Diego for military personnel and as many as three direct dependents. Click here to register. For a limited time, if you are a U.S. active duty member who already visited with the Waves of Honor complimentary admission program or are a Veteran click here to save 50% off single day admission.