Bring the kids! Bring yourself!
But leave everything you’ve been taught about good table manners at home.
We’re gonna eat bugs!
Entomophogy…The worldwide practice of eating insects (and spiders)
Big fat juicy ones, wee little skinny ones, we’re all gonna eat bugs.
Why not do it in a fun and friendly environment – you never know when you might really need it….
Marjory Wildcraft, Alan Davisson, and Robert Allen will again be teaming up to create an amazing evening that you and your kids will be remember for the rest of your lives. If you have a camera, bring it! We will be preparing tasty treats of grasshoppers, crickets, spiders, katydids, bees, wasps, wormy things and if we’re lucky, a scorpion or two.
This will be a BYOB (Bring Your Own Bugs to share) party so start catching them early so we have lots! They can be stored in a bag in the freezer until the festival, but get an early start so we have a swarm.
This will also be a ‘normal’ potluck so bring a dish of ordinary food to share. Bring a dish large enough to feed 8 hungry people.
- June Bugs are out now around the lights at night…. bag lots of them + freeze em.
- Grasshoppers, crickets, katydids… keep them alive overnight so they get a chance to “purge” then freeze em.
- Wasp nests… into a jar with the whole nest… NOTHING will be wasted.
- Wolf Spiders… put on a headlamp and their eyes glow like green laser emeralds at night. They taste like chicken but they’ll eat each other so keep em separate.
- Grubs…new on our menu this year… not for the faint of heart.
- Mealworms…. Usually from the pet store but we wouldn’t want to miss em!
- Scorpians – yum, yum, the best of the flavors – bring as many as you can. They show up yellow at night under a black light.
Bring any other insects you find and we will put Alan to the test to see if he knows the edibility of it. Last year, the kids brought a walking stick and munched it down. Ooossshh.
The Bug Festival is held at Zilker Park in the Rock Garden Picnic area (just a bit above the hill where the outdoor amphitheater is). We are starting at 7:00pm and go until almost dark. Saturday June 29th. Yup, the really interesting people will be there.
This is all you need to bring to the event your family will talk about for years to come:
- Potluck dish of “normal” food for 8 hungry people
- Your own beverages (no glass bottles), but alcohol is allowed (and Marjory’s husband highly recommends lots of beer)
- A good story or joke
- An open mind
- $5 for each grown-up (at the door)
- kids under 12 free