For some of you, when you hear the name Reverend Billy Graham, you can hear his voice, visualize the place you were when you heard him preach. For others, maybe you have never heard him speak, or are just for the first time learning more about him through his passing. No matter what the circumstance, what a beautiful moment during a dark time in our world, from politics to violence in our schools, his passing brings such hope and light. In the past week there have been so many sermons, wonderful memories and stories told of Dr. Graham. I loved this one from his close friend, Kathie Lee Gifford. I teared up several times during her talk and felt a nudge in my heart as she spoke about a beautiful man and his love for the way, the truth and the life.
The Rev. Billy Graham will be laid to rest on Friday 3/2 at noon in his home state of North Carolina. He will be buried next to his loving wife, Ruth. You can watch the live stream of the service online.
In honor of Billy Graham we have compiled some of our favorite quotes that will live in our hearts as we remember the legacy he leaves behind.
- You’re born, you suffer. You die. Fortunately, there’s a loophole.
- I’ve read the last pages of the Bible. It’s all going to turn out OK.
- God has given us two hands – one to receive with and the other to give with. We are not cisterns made for hoarding; we are channels made for sharing.
- There were a few times when I thought I was dying, and I saw my whole life come before me…” said Graham at his Cincinnati Crusade on June 24, 2002. “I didn’t say to the Lord, ‘I’m a preacher, and I’ve preached to many people.’ I said, ‘Oh Lord, I’m a sinner, and I still need Your forgiveness. I still need the cross.’ And I asked the Lord to give me peace in my heart, and He did—a wonderful peace that hasn’t left me.
- When we come to the end of ourselves. we come to the beginning of God.
- From his NY Times obit….”But in his later years, Mr. Graham kept his distance from the evangelical political movement he had helped engender, refusing to endorse candidates and avoiding the volatile issues dear to religious conservatives. If I get on these other subjects, it divides the audience on an issue that is not the issue I’m promoting,” he said in an interview at his home in North Carolina in 2005 while preparing for his last American crusade, in New York City. “I’m just promoting the Gospel.”
- The wonderful news is that our Lord is a God of mercy, and He responds to repentance
- Someday you will read or hear that Billy Graham is dead. Don’t believe a word of it. I shall be more alive than I am now. I will just have changed my address. I will have gone into the presence of God.
(Photo Credit: https://billygraham.org/)