Reports say that the Guadalupe River is in the best condition we’ve seen in 5 years! The drought had the rivers running very low until the recent rains which flooded the area and forced it to close.
Tubing along the river hasn’t been available for several weeks. The Fourth of July weekend is about to change all of that! The Independence Day weekend has been said to be the busiest weekend of the year for businesses around the river. We’re glad to hear that this year won’t be an exception.
Authorities do advise visitors to be safe. With the recent rains, the river has changed a bit. Caution should be on everyone’s mind.
Even with the rivers open, flooding victims still need to be remembered. San Marcos is still in need and the Austin Disaster Relief Network has a list of how to help:
1) Have shoes? Donate gently to new shoes, boots and handbags to any of the Austin Shoe Hospital’s 11 locations to help aid flood survivors. Ends July 31st.
2) Have some time to volunteer? Sign up to volunteer at ADRN’s San Marcos Warehouse – now collecting items for flood survivors to help furnish their homes. SIgn up here.
3) Help raise funds for the next phase of recovery (estimated at $5.5 Million) – the repair/rebuilding phase or go online to donate here.
4) Sponsor a family – if you are part of a church on our network and you would like to help a family seeking sponsorship, visit http://www.adrntx.org/index.php/sponsor-a-family/ to find out more on how you can make a difference in the lives of the flood families.
5) Partner with ADRN – looking for sponsors, companies and organizations interested in partnering with ADRN through their disaster relief efforts. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to find out ways you can help donate resources, provide services, and more.
There is a great deal of work ahead to support the flood families. Please continue to pray for funding to help us begin the repair/rebuilding phase to help families move back home and get back on their feet!