As cleanup and recovery efforts begin, flood victims are being warned about scams. While the majority of people coming around these devastated areas generally want to help, there are those who will also take advantage.
Attorney General Ken Paxton is telling flood survivors to beware of who they hire to help restore their homes. Take a look at these tips to keep your assets safe:
- Solicitors should be licensed and properly bonded and offer in writing the right to cancel any sales within three days of signing.
- Look out for pushy contractors and high-pressure sales tactics.
- Look at work vehicles for markings and phone numbers.
- Do not pay for work up front.
- Get all work orders in writing and read the contract carefully.
- Record the license plate number of all sales people just in case.
- Use the Better Business Bureau as a resource.
- Beware of price gouging.
Be safe out there and share this list with anyone you think could use it. Also remember to use any of the great organizations and resources out there who are helping flood victims. You can get our list of them here.